CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

do i need perspective?

So maybe it's just me, but I went for a run tonight. And it caused some thinking - other than the normal thinking that I might get abducted when I run at night. I was running and a Blink 182 song came on. It reminded me of that story about Travis Barker and his friend that were involved in a private plane crash. You know....right? The one where the pilots died and one of the two guys was injured...but not dead, right? Ok, well, I was reading a brief in People magazine while we were waiting in the Chicago airport that mentioned that a lawsuit was being filed. It has been reported that Travis Barker and his buddy are suing the pilots' and their companies for some sort of negligence on the pilots' behalf and they are suing for their estates.

OK, so maybe I am just too nice of a person (I do sometimes have a bleeding heart), but really? You're going to sue dead people for negligence? Wasn't their death payment enough? You're going to rob the grieving families even more by suing for their possessions?! Really? Really? And hello...? You're alive to be able to sue! Maybe it's me, but I can't help but wonder where the disconnect is. Maybe I am just sensitive, because Rob is a pilot. Or maybe I am sensitive because there were some fatal accidents here at Columbus AFB that cost two pilots their lives, and their families a deep, gaping sadness. And not only was it a problem with the plane that caused their deaths, but you can't sue the Air Force. Furthermore, it's not like they are hurting for the money. They could, you know, afford to fly this private plane.

I guess all that came from a silly Blink 182 song playing on my iPod in the dark on a cold, winter run, but I just had to let off a little steam. Unfortunately, letting off steam doesn't help, because it still leaves me sad that our world has become what it is. All I can really do is focus on the positive people in the world who can put a smile on their face and overlook negativity. Which is what I need to do right now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny, I am worried about your when you run at night, sorry I am still your mom that worries. Love ya. Mom

Amy :) said...

I must live uder a rock, because I have no idea who any of these people are, and don't know anything about that plane crash.

That said, I still have to agree with you, Jenny. It is totally insane that they would sue the families of the ones who died!! They certainly have enough to deal with, without this on top of it.

I'd like to think that the ones who survived would be grateful to be alive, and try to comfort the families of those who died.

PS--I have to agree with your mom, too. :) I'd be afraid to go out alone after dark for a run, even when we lived in Marquette, which has a low crime rate.

Anonymous said...

Perspective has been my catch word lately. I know I lack it some times and try to put myself back in check.
I agree with you. People are too quick to find someone to blame when something doesn't go their way and during seems to be an easy answer.
On a more uplifting related story; did you hear about the two girls that were in a bad car accident? One died and the other was so badly mangled that their identities were mixed up. It took the families a few months to realize that the girl lying in the hospital bed wasn't theirs. Long story short, the families could have easily sued over the mix up but they decided to forgive and move on with healing. I would be nice if more people followed that example.
Enough rambling... carry some pepper spray when you run. :)

Elizabeth Brooks said...

Take Rainey with you when you run! As much as we'd like to believe the best in people - and although MOST people are good hearted - This world is full of kooks and it's not worth taking chances. You are the mommy! - love mammaliz

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just reread my comment. I wouldn't call that story "uplifting" at all (bad choice of words) but you get what I mean. Right?

Jenny Brooks said...

no worries, pamcakes, I know what you mean, because I remember the story. They were from Michigan, right? And it is uplifting, because in reality, I don't believe that any sort of revenge/vindication/justice thru seeking to balance the wrongs ever really works. I think it is more of a heart issue.

Amy :) said...

We know the VanRyn family, who were the ones who stayed by the side of the wrong girl for five weeks. Lisa, the older sister, used to work with Matt at Youth for Christ, and we know their whole family from Upper Peninsula Bible Camp.

The VanRyn and Cerak families were on TV a few times this past year, telling their story. It was so cool to see how they only felt love for each other, not blame. Both families love God very much, and without Him it could have been so very different.

Together, they wrote a book. I think it's called Mistaken Identity. We bought it, read it right away, and then passed it on to somebody else. It's a great book!

Amy :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. It sure is a small world.