CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

five years of puppy love.

Just a tribute on our oldest child~ ha!

Rainey celebrated her fifth year of craziness, and she's still as pup as ever!

Some photos of our puppy love...it was quite symbolic of Rob and my relationship. We had just gotten married, and I really wanted a dog. I thought my one good chance of getting a puppy, was if I could find the breed that he grew up with: the boxer. And we found the perfect puppy. She was the runt of the litter, but had the fire inside her, that was for sure. Isn't that how they always come, though? It's the small, wiry type that are the most feisty and energetic! We went back and forth on names, narrowed it down to four names, and chose Rainey (my suggestion) due to the fact that it had rained the evening we took her home, and it just fit. When she's in trouble, she gets the middle name added in: Rainey Day!

If there was ever any indication of what my temperment would be around children, it was then that I caught a glimpse of it when we got Rainey. I was so happy to take her home, and make her part of our family. However, the day Rob had to go to work, I was a basket case! I was such a wreck, because she was quite young, compared to the typical 8 weeks. She was 5 1/2 weeks old, and she had such a hard time eating, that I was on the kitchen floor breaking up her food with the back of a spoon, so she could eat it! When I was a kid, and we got a puppy, none of these things you worry about. But the day, Rainey Day was in my care and I was "in charge", I was a serious freakshow....much like that of a new mother, who has a baby to care for.

Oy vey.

It was only a couple months later that we found out we were pregnant with Ben. It was merely weeks after we got Rainey that we conceived. If I was like that with a dog, what was I going to do with a little baby boy??

Rainey is such a part of our family, but there are days when she's the last one attended to. Many days however. But it's the love of a dog, that is so special, especially where children are concerned. Ben bounces on her back and Lydia tries to entice her to lick her on the face, but Rainey knows better about these things and resists any action on her part. Rainey now sleeps on Ben's bed at night, and checks on him, if he has napped what she considers "too long". It really is sweet. Lydia is now getting very interested in Rainey, and she continues to be the most gentle dog, when I know she just wants to lick every square inch of Lydia.

P.S. Sometimes, I really do love her. It usually occurs after the kids go to bed, and I just want someone to lie still and snuggle - 4 year olds and babies don't do that so well anymore.

6 comments:

The Akins Family said...

That is how I feel about my Dane too.....

lizzypph said...

awww that is soo sweet. her best boxer friend misses her!

Anita Taylor said...

Jen this is just like you. I remember all the 3 dogs you grew up with our family. Your Dad had the white dog named "Jenny", he likes that name so we named you Jennifer, then the Shit-zu Benji. then Crystal the black lab. Crystal was always on your bed everynite and when U were not around she is on our bed. Love ya, mom.

Unknown said...

Where does time go? It seems like just yesterday that hyper little Rainey was going after grumpy ol' Merlin's treats and being taught a lesson!
Sweet pictures!

Jenny Brooks said...

Pam-I was so totally thinking about the altercation when I was writing this. This is the basketcase I was referring to! Remember how freaked out I was?? The funny thing if you remember was that I was waiting for the guys to get back from red flag so i could have rob take a pee stick test with me!! Little did we know..,

Unknown said...

Funny how that pee stick turned into such an intelligent, wall-climbing little boy. Case in point, where the heck does time go?!