CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 11, 2009

quilting.

While we were in Phoenix, my mom shared and taught me one of her new hobbies. She has been meeting with a quilting group at church and she has been loving it. Here is my first completed project; it was a prepackaged quilt. You still have to do all the cutting and sewing, but it takes the guesswork out of picking and choosing matching fabrics (which I think is a talent in itself).

The below project is one I chose for myself. While I have never really crafted any sort of large project for Ben, I decided that I wanted to make him a bedspread quilt to fit his twin bed. Below is the material cut out. I still need to cut a few more pieces at the bottom and do what is called a lattice. It is another material that sort of borders your quilt - kind of like a frame. After it is sewn I need to find a matching flannel back piece for it.

11 comments:

The Akins Family said...

Very nice! My mother in law quilts and i would love to know how....since we are moving closer maybe she can show me! I think I will start with a kit like you did!

pam said...

Not bad Jenny Brooks. You just keep on dabbling in a whole bunch of new hobbies.
Although I don't sew (fabric illiterate) I know what you mean when it comes to matching colors/patterns. Scrapbooking is much the same way in that you have to find paper and accessories that are most pleasing to the eye in your layout. It can be hard and when you think something looks right, you just end up tearing it up. Although, I think correcting paper mistakes is a little easier than sewn fabric ones.

Unknown said...

PS You should make an old AF patch and t-shirt quilt like my mom made for Trav. Did I show it to you?

Amy :) said...

I totally agree about the choosing of fabric for a quilt being an art. I once found the perfect quilt for Marissa's bed, and never ever would have thought to put those patterns/colors together, but the quilt was exactly what her room needed!

Chasing the Little Chunnsters said...

That is so nice that your mom shared that with you! My mother sews and quilts, but I had to take sewing as a class in high school because she never had the patience to teach me.

Jenny Brooks said...

Christina, don't think for one second we didn't have any dynamics issues!! ;). It still worked out though!!

Cait said...

Nice! I've been putting some thought in to starting a quilt... With all of this complete fabric packs, you really can't go wrong! now I just need a rotary cutting board... Is that what you've been using or are you free handing it... :0)

Jenny Brooks said...

hey cait - I did get a rotary and a cutting mat...I think cutting them as straight is very important. In addition to kits, they also sell fabric squares that coordinate really well together. Good luck!

Anita Taylor said...

Jenny you are a quick learner. They say that rotary cutter is very importnat to use in quilting, you can use scissors but not the same. And Pls be careful with those rotary cutter. My friend who was in my class cut herself by just bumping into the blade that is open. So when not in use close the cutter. :) Just being a mom.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK TO BLOGGING!!!! It is SO nice to catch up with you and the darlin' chillin's. : ) Love your quilts! Lu Barnes

Laura Gruner said...

Awesome! My mother-in-law quilts. I love the brown and green on you did!!! Adorable! Do you make baby bedding???