CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 12, 2007

if you don't find this funny....

A tribute to any mom out there - young or old, seasoned or wetter behind the ears! If you don't love it, I will be very surprised.

All that being said....I think potty training for the big two and a half year old in our house has finally clicked. While I know we're still going to have oopsies here and there, it was noticeably an "aha" moment for Ben.

Why might you ask? Well, for one - I haven't said "Ben, is your underwear dry?" a dozen times in a 5 minute window. Is this an exaggeration? Slightly, but not too far from the truth. I will not go into too much detail about the going-ons (literally and figuratively), as much as I KNOW that I have friends out there who love talking about poop! (Susannah, are you there?) And as much as I, too, enjoy talking about it, as I have had issues myself in the whole GI department. (not with potty training, thank you) Annnnnnnyyyyyyywayyyyyyy.....the fact is, this is the first day where I see a noticeable change in his behaviors.

But this brings me to a different subject: trust and faith.

Why does Jenny still get frustrated and impatient witht he fact that Ben isn't potty-trained in spite of:

A kindergarten teacher friend that assures me that no child has ever come to her class in diapers?

That countless friends say: you'll know when their ready. When they are ready, they WILL do it.

That when I was at a MOPS meeting and there were moms asking different moms parenting questions, there was not a single question about potty training?

Because:

IT'S TRUE! And kids do learn and they will learn. I guess, sometimes, the element missing is the experience that they will learn (pick your obstacle) in their own time. With a first child, you don't get that and sometimes it's harder to trust.

So, hopefully, when round 2 or 3 or....comes around, I will be better those next times around.

And I will keep you posted when that next time is! :)

1 comments:

Amy :) said...

Awww... my slow dial-up connection isn't letting me watch your video! :( I'll have to go to the library and try it on a computer there. But I did hear the opening phrase and I'm sure it will be funny!

I was just talking to a friend yesterday who was feeling frustrated about her almost-2-year-old not being quite potty trained. I must be lazy... I never really tried potty training until our kids were each almost 3!

Naomi was pooping in the potty all the time by the time she was 2 1/2, all of her own initiative, so I was really thrilled with that! We didn't work on the peeing thing until this spring. Now, it's just getting her dry at night.

But some kids take longer. We've had some who took longer and one--Marissa--who was dry from night one of potty training! I could probably count her night-time accidents on one hand, and I'm *not* exaggerating! (But she was the only one like that!)

It's amazing to me how parenting is a bit different with each child, depending on their personality/temperament and how they're "wired". But, I think you're still right about being more relaxed with your future children in the potty training (or whatever) department. :)

I think it's fun that you and I are parenting at the same time. :) Of course, in a year and a half, our oldest will be old enough for driver's training!! Yikes!!! Matt assures me that David will be a safe driver... and I'm sure he's right. It's just so... *BIG*... DRIVING!!

Okay, I'm sure the same thing will hold true, by the time Naomi is learning to drive, it won't be such a big deal to me. I know my mom liked it when I learned to drive because I could help with running errands, dropping off & picking up siblings, stuff like that. I didn't mind. :)

Well, better get off the computer! Have a great week!

Amy :)