CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

and i quote...

Lately, Ben has been saying a few things that crack me up. And it is the last story that made me decide to publish the first couple along with it.

Before Lydia was born, I gave Ben a briefing on how feeding the baby was going to go. We talked about breastfeeding and how mommies feed their babies this way. When Lydia arrived, he was watching ever so intently, and then rather bluntly said, "Lydia likes boobs." Not a tough concept to wrap your brain around, I guess.

For the last couple of weeks, Ben has been in our family bubble, enjoying Dad being home and having my MIL, Liz over. Rob and his mom did a great job attending to him and his social activities, but I still think he missed his friends. We were leaving base, and Ben started asking if he could have some friends over. So Rob begins the whole explanation of how babies are too young, and that their immune systems aren't fully developed. He explains to Ben how your immune systems fight off germs, and how all people have germs. Rob concludes, "So, Ben, we have to protect your baby sister from germs in the beginning."

Ben: "Well, can I have one germ over?"
Rob: (standard parental response) "Well, we'll just have to wait a little bit and see..."
Ben: (clearly not satisfied, especially considering he thinks he came to a good compromise with "one germ") "Well, Gram is here, and she's a germ..."

What can we say? Is there such a thing as family germs being OK over friend germs???

And last, but not least.

So, many of you know that fighter pilots refuse to use the word H-E-A-D. Yes, it's a little dumb, but they have so craftily thought of other words to use. So around the house, Ben knows his H-E-A-D to be a "nugget". And it just becomes a word so normal around the house, especially when your son has quite a knack for "bumping his nugget." Today we were eating lunch and he was remembering the other night when he bumped his head on the coffee table so hard that he had a bit of a goose egg. And as much as he has made a career out of hitting/bumping/falling on his head, I said, "Should we take him to the doctor?" (Rob ended up icing it and you could hardly see it the next morning.) Ben was asking me today why I suggested going to the doctor, and this is what he said: "Mom, why did you say I should go to the doctor when I bumped my (wait for it) fore-nugget?" A fore-NUGGET?! As if I couldn't believe it, I said, "Ben, what is a fore-nugget?" and he pointed to his forehead. I just had to laugh.

6 comments:

Shannon Dawson said...

Nice. Love the germ comment. Don't tell him that lots of germs are over all the time.

Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats on Lydia!

Amy :) said...

That is *too* cute! Matt & the kids loved hearing what Ben has been saying lately!

Amy :)

Amy said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos!! Ben has grown up so much - and what a SMART kid he is!!! Lydia is beautiful just like her mama!! Miss you guys!

The Bledsoes said...

Love the stories, especially the last one!!! Hysterical!! Can so see that eventually coming out of Landen's mouth. :) And love Lydia's nursery!

Amy :) said...

Jenny, I LOVE your new family photo & blog background! I did black & white photos of our kids out in the White Tanks for their school photos this year. I *love* how black & white looks... more classic, or something like that.

I keep checking for updates... but I think you're pretty busy right now! I remember the days/weeks/months of adjusting to having two kids when Jessica was born. Seems like it was almost harder than adjusting to three, four, or five! :)