CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 19, 2009

i feel dirty.

So there's this store in Columbus called Dirt Cheap. No really, it's true. And it is both of those things. I had never been there, but it is frequented by many people...looking for dirt cheap bargains. How aptly titled. ;) It is hard to explain to someone what this store is like, but the closest thing to it is...like a low scale Tuesday Morning, Ross, TJ Maxx, etc. Really low. Low. There really is no merchandising or order or rhyme or reason or anything. It is: "hey you want a bargain, come look for it, but we aren't going to make this pretty."

So I walk in with my friend, Heather, and am immediately shell shocked. Where do you start? There isn't really customer service, this is bare bones, folks. So if you've never been in Dirt Cheap, you just don't really know what to do with yourself or have any idea where to start. This should be a screaming testimony for the need of advertising and marketing.

I begin to make sense of the place by walking around and trying to process where I should start looking for what I want. Except that I don't know what I want! I need advertisers to tell me this! (mostly sarcasm with a touch of seriousness.) I find myself in this aisle that looked like a scene from Chucky where all the toys came to life and jumped off the shelves. This aisle if you can call it that was labeled "90% off". It's toys. And these toys were in boxes that looked severely damaged to the point you wonder if what's inside is even intact. I wonder, "can I bring this back if it doesn't work or is incomplete?" No way. Why? you might wonder... I have an answer for this: because you can't return crap. That was harsh, but in all seriousness, these are desirable goods, just not in a pretty package. Whether or not this 90% off item works is the price you pay. You know, kind of like gambling.

So lo and behold, I am trying to scoot Lydia around in this aisle that has more on the floor than the shelf, and I spy a 3 wheel scooter. Not just any scooter, but a Clone Wars scooter. Ben is so into Star Wars, I am beginning to think it may never end. Hmmm....let's see 90% off of &29.99 makes it $3! So the box is ripped open...but all the pieces are here. But wait a minute, it's missing hardware. I am thinking to myself how proud Rob is going to be, and how excited he'll be to put this thing together. Surely he can find some nuts and bolts to hold all the pieces together, right? So I buy it.

I bring this thing home, and show the husband. He is not looking as excited as I was thinking he would. He loves to fix things, what's going on? He tells me he would just assume buy the thing at regular price, it's not worth it. I begin by telling him how much I was bragging on him to some man in the aisle with me. Yes, I am friendly. Hey, when you're both in the same God-forsaken aisle, stooping to all time lows, you might as well say hi while you're down there. Plus, there is no customer service, I needed a second opinion!

Long story, short. Turned out that Rob had a lot on his mind and adding this wasn't helping. I told him, it wasn't urgent, I was thinking for Ben's birthday maybe. He tells me, "but you know me, I am going to want to fix it now." I couldn't help but laugh a little. So this a.m., he called the manufacturer and they are sending us all the hardware for this $3 scooter! :) Yay!

I managed to find a few things, and the two most blog-worthy items was the scooter and this awesome Nike running shirt retailing at $45...finding it at Dirt Cheap for $3! yay again.

my $3 deals!
BTW - an update on sweet Lydia - her ultrasound came back normal, but they wanted to do a CT scan to be completely sure. She had that done today, so we'll see how that turns out. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts! It means a lot to me. Kids are just so darn special, you know? :) She also ate her cereal for the first time today! It's about the 3rd or 4th time trying it, but she actually ingested it! She wasn't just wearing her food this time around!

(as a side note: I thought I would be immune to these cheesy baby milestones, because I went through them with Ben and because there are so many more exciting milestones in my opinion. But I found myself getting just as giddy with her as I did with Ben. She was really loving the cereal. Ben was never that interested in food like this. It's neat to see how different they are. I am blessed.)

these two picture really remind me of each other. above: Lydia and below: Ben

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the pictures! There is more of a resemblance than I realized. What an adorable family your are!

Anonymous said...

"YOU all are"

Anonymous said...

That father/son pic is classic. Trav and Bren have one too. I think everyone does (and should)!
I'm sure it's such a relief to find out about Lydia. Sounds like all good news to me!
As for the fix-it-now mentality... do you mind sending Rob our way? I've got this hinge on a kitchen cabinet that's been broken since we moved in. Just doesn't seem to want to get fixed!

Amy :) said...

What a great post! And how cool that Rob was able to get the manufacturer to send the hardware for the $3 scooter!! :)

I just posted yesterday about my recent FreeCycle finds for our living room. I love finding things for cheap! :)

And, I am SO glad to hear the great news about Lydia! I checked in on you today to see if there was an update, and I'm *so* glad I did!

The father/baby photos are so precious. We have lots like them, with various babies on Matt's chest. :)

Talk to ya later...
Amy :)

Anonymous said...

Great pics Jenny. Love ya mom.

A new purpose said...

HA! I love your description of Dirt Cheap - you totally brought me back there! Definitely an experience for sure - glad to hear baby is all clear - you all look great!

Julie Keefe said...

girl, i love dirt cheap. miss it bunches. here by way of casey johnson. great post!

Anonymous said...

I miss ya'll