CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Ben.

So as you may know, my son, Ben, is 14 mos. (1 year, 2 mos for those non-parents out there - someday you will reference age in months!) Anyway....he is such an individual and has so much character. A trait of his that is easily apparent to even people who don't know him very well, is that he is EXTREMELY independent. He is a hands on, first hand experience-type child. Rarely does he want to sit in your lap or snuggle. In a nutshell, he is either sleeping or in motion. He certainly is a sweet boy though, and loves to be chased and laughed with. Lately we have been working on walking as long as he is holding your hand, and not running off. So far it has been going well, but the hand is key. If he's holding your hand, he'll go in desired direction...if he's not - well the opposite holds true. So today, we were on base doing a few errands, and I have really started to notice something. While he is friendly to most people (he pretty much introduces himself to anyone), he has shown a unique fondness for men and women in service dress - especially a flight suit! Today we were leaving the military clothing sales dept and a man in BDUs walked out after us. Let me mention - Ben and I were NOT holding hands - so he naturally gravitated to this man waving at him. It was THE cutest thing - and totally melted my heart, probably because Rob has been gone and will be home in a few days! (He's in Canada, eh?) So.....holding hands was now enforced. However, Ben continued to direct his gaze while this man walked clear across the street, got into his truck, started it, put it in drive and drove away. Ben was watching so persistently and obviously that the man was waving out the window as he was driving away in the opposite direction. I apologize for the silly story, but it's those moments for me that really make my heart overflow with love for Ben. And it's those moments that are crucial to any parent, who gets stuck in the monotony of parenthood. Anyone who knows me pretty well, knows how I tend to do more worrying over my child than positive thinking. I know that my worrying comes from a good place, but it does not condone that worrying. That worrying takes the place of all the joy and happiness I could be experiencing with Ben from our God who made us and loves us. So, I plan to remember that truth for the next time my troubled heart wants to rule....(which could very well happen as soon as I click the "preview & post" button!)

0 comments: