CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 20, 2006

GV means "Great Value"

Being a parent means a lot of things to different people and it almost always translates differently for people - since we're all different, right? Every day I discover something little that shows me just how being a parent has changed me. For instance - I am a cheap person. I'm not going to call myself frugal or some other politically correct term. I'm cheap....I love the dollar store, I love Walmart, I love the bargain...especially the "hunt"! With that being said, if there is an area where I am not this said cheapo, it is when it comes to my son, Ben. Normally I am the type of person who buys GV brand foods and products. Anyone who is like me knows that GV translates in to "Great Value" at the good ol' Sprawlmart (as my husband likes to call it). I will almost always choose this brand over Keebler, Nabisco, Pilgram's Pride, you name it. (with the exception of great foods such as Doritos and Oreos, some things just can't be substituted!) So back to this topic about how being a parent changes you in the littlest of ways. Several months ago, Ben was sick with some vomiting and diarrhea - so what do you go and buy to maintain hydration?! C'mon let me hear you all say it - Pedialyte! Doctor recommended, huh? So I cruise down the aisle that holds this product and what do I come across? Pedialyte alongside the off-brand-not-as-cool-stuff-are-you-really-going-to-buy-the-cheap-stuff-when-your-kid-is-sick?! wannabe Pedialyte. And do you know how much this off brand stuff costs?! LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE! So being the conscious consumer, I pull down a bottle of each and turn them both around to investigate the labels. Hmmmm...says they have the exact same "active ingredients" to relieve and rehydrate your sick child. After logic and reason set in that the off brand stuff will work just the same because their labels read identical and after standing there in contemplative thought, what do I do?!! What do you think I did?! Yes, you all know it after this long story. Yes, I did walk off with the $6 Pedialyte-I-want-the-best-for-my-child-any-respectable-parent-wouldn't-dream-of-buying-that-cheap-crap-if-they-loved-their-child! stuff. There you have it folks.

0 comments: