CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 7, 2006

the mysterious category called "Other"

OK...so I started thinking today about a topic that crosses my mind, oh, let's say every time I have to fill out some sort of bubble sheet, scan tron, survey, questionaire, etc.....which since I am out of college isn't too often. But every once in a while when presented with the average survey - there is a certain spot in the form that causes me to stop and just gape at the piece of paper before me. Wanna know what that is?! It is the Race/Ethinicity portion! Seriously, who would think that causes people to stop filling out whatever it is they are filling out and just stare blankly? Now that I think about it, probably more than I think. I think for quite some time, I have confused myself AND "the system", because whenever I had to fill one of these out in school or college (which we all know is pretty frequently) I think I just colored in the bubble of that which I felt like the most - THAT day! Hmmmm....do I feel more "white" today or do I feel more "asian/pacific islander" today? Because, in all honesty, for a while I felt like I didn't want to be thrown in the "OTHER" category! The way I saw it was "who wants to be labelled 'other'?" What does "other" mean? Does it mean "you're just too complex to be given a specific category?" or does it mean "we really don't care what you are because it's not a name/place that we recognize right off the top of our heads, so we're going to call you 'other'?" Well, which is it!!!? You know it would be one thing if my blood had a majority of one ethnicity in it, and I could just abide by the "majority rules" method....but, no, it's gotta be 50/50! So, this is why for years I colored in the bubble based on the way I felt that day. More "white" today or more "asian" today? Then came the problem of wondering if anyone out there in one of these categories was going to think I was some sort of poser or sellout. I imagined them wondering, "does she honestly think she is white, just because everyone around her is white?!" or "does she really think that she is Asian/Pacific Islander just because her mom is?! She's never even lived in any of those regions!" Quite a tangent, huh? Well, I am saying today, that I am proudly choosing "other" on this myspace space...and saying yes to my heritage and blood. How am I doing this, you may wonder. By proudly choosing "other", I am embracing both my dominant ethnicities, but essentially saying "Yes - I am ambiguous!" Any of you ambiguous friends out there, I know you feel this! Word!

0 comments: