CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 17, 2007

RE-POing the recalled.

There are days that I have thought to myself that Ben doesn’t have enough toys. I would feel guilty….at times, because my son would rather go to someone else’s house to play than to play at home.

I would internalize thoughts from only sound and logical reasoning (really) such as:

1. He only wants to play at other people’s houses because of their toys.
2. He doesn’t like his toys.
3. I don’t provide enough entertainment for him.
4. I’m not good enough.
5. I’m not a good mama.

See how I came to this natural conclusion?! (laced with heavy sarcasm)

Then I would swing the pendulum of thought back the other way – defending myself and Ben’s lack of toys:

1. Well, it will just make him appreciate toys more, if he doesn’t have a lot of them.
2. Well, when he goes over to his friend’s house, he plays with the same toy. (ie. Mack the Truck, and all the Disney CARS that go in to them). Marvin: for the record it’s from the Disney movie, Cars. Voices: Owen Wilson, some other people. That’s all I can think of. I hate the movie, by the way.
3. He needs to have an imagination anyway.
4. We make fun crafts that require a LOT (and I mean *a lot*) of imagination…

For instance: This is an astronaut – that we made. Don’t you dare tell him otherwise.

FYI: It’s not these things:
1. a toilet paper roll
2. part of an egg carton
3. aluminum foil
4. a couple Q-tips
5. plastic mouthpiece from a birthday party blower.

Have I mentioned that it is an astronaut? Because we’re learning the letter A.

This is a school bus that we made. It is a school bus.

FYI: It’s not:
1. a wardrobe box
2. yellow spray paint
3. black spray paint

Got it?


This is an insect. Because we’ve also learned the letter I.

FYI: it is not these things:
1. part of an egg carton
2. googly eyes (yes that is what they are called on the packaging). My husband also has these – for lovely ol’ me!
3. pipe cleaners


And as of very lately, and for once in my critical head – can I just remark that I am so glad that Ben doesn’t have a lot of toys?

Q: And why is that?
A: This silly toy recall!

I don’t have to sort out toys.
I don’t have to explain to my kid that he can’t play with a certain toy anymore. (That explanation is still reserved for when he’s been naughty.)
I don’t have to arrange for replacements/reimbursements.

Can I also say that I am glad that I am not:
1. China
2. Mattel
3. Fisher Price
4. And Sarge (yes from the movie CARS). That poor car was the only car recalled out of ALL the Cars characters!

Note to all readers: I hope that my friends who read this know that I am just “funnin’” around, and I am SO glad that I have friends that have fun kids and fun toys, because it makes it so much easier to converse with another adult! (Wendy – you know what I mean!) And Wendy, for the record, because my son loves your house, your son, your daughter, and you so much, I would be willing to use my energies, and help you sort through your toys for our kiddos’ “healthy tomorrows”! And I would even bring you over a Coke and bagel while we do it!


And by the way – It’s all China’s fault! So there.





1 comments:

skmemom said...

Jenny, I love you. You make me smile.
-liz