CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 4, 2008

not just southern, ya'll.



So, Rob thinks it's funny that I like pork rinds. When I asked him why, he just said something to the fact that it surprises me that I would like "such" a food. What does that mean? Fried pig skin sounds gross? It's only a Southern thing? Well, in all honesty it is kind of gross sounding, and I am not entirely proud that I do like such a thing, but I really can't help it. It's the same reason I can't help it that I like Funyons. It's not like I eat it all the time, but when I went to gas up at the Ole Country Store across the street on Saturday, they were just staring at me in there.

My only response to Rob was that my mom likes them and she eats them. So I guess that is one thing Filipinos and Southerners have in common! As if this didn't shock Rob enough, I was watching a YouTube video of a Filipina who makes videos making fun of her family and cultural upbringing. I tend to find them funny, because it's all too familiar for me and she does a good job portraying herself and all of her family members at the same time.

After viewing this, imagine Rob's response to finding out that "other" people find pork rinds yummy, and they just so happen to be a bunch of filipinos! :)

4 comments:

A new purpose said...

I love it!!! that was hilarious - and - something I used to eat as a child when we went to my uncles farm - he called them cracklins - well - they are way worse than pork rinds!

Amy :) said...

Hey, Matt says that your dad used to like eating pork rinds, too. I don't know if he still does, or not?

I find pork rinds rather gross, myself, but I don't think that just because something is "Southern" that Northerners can't like it. I love sweet tea, cornbread ("Johnny Cake"), grits, and biscuits & gravy. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think those are Southern foods??

Ah, isn't it funny how there can be so many different cultural things in one country?? :)

Amy :)

Jenny Brooks said...

I guess the difference of southern and northern foods isn't so great as the fact that they I tend to find these "specialty" foods homemade a lot more often. I never buy commercial/packaged pork rinds, but the pork rinds at these county fairs or at the store across the road from me, and they come in a gallon sized ziploc bag. No contact, no name, no way of knowing where they come from, but they make it more appealing to me for some reason! Same thing with boiled peanuts...my mom's first visit here to MS was her making her own boiled peanuts....those I haven't quite gotten to liking just yet. Yes, I do remember my dad eating pork rinds! :)

Lia Caban said...

Add Puerto Rico, Cuba and the Dominican Republic to the list of people that likes chicharrones (pork rinds). And big hugs for all of you, from us three!