CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

so....

So, yesterday I was humbled a bit. I know that I'm pregnant and I'm so happy about it. But, yesterday something got me. Seeing thin, unpregnant, attractive women doesn't bother me. After all, I am pregnant and there is a child growing inside of me. Seeing girls that are pregnant with close due dates to me doesn't bother me. I have no qualms about losing the weight, I trust myself in that area and know my body and what works for me.

But yesterday marked the first day in exactly a month that I have taken a run. Ever since I got pregnant this time around, that became my biggest focus, and I wasn't concerned with running as much. I didn't stop all together, but let's just say I took it down a notch. I cut my average running distance in half to about two or three miles and added a good minute to my pace. As if that wasn't bad enough, I was only getting the opportunity a couple times a week. I really wasn't sweating it - literally and figuratively.

So yesterday I ran all of one and third miles....just short of DYING. I'd like to say I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. I have never felt my thighs burning that much until yesterday. I am surprised that my legs don't hurt more than they do this morning. I have seriously never felt my legs burn in pain like that. And I think I added another 30 seconds to my pace. The only thing I can attibute it to is lack of discipline in this area, and the extra 14 lbs I'm carrying around. That is roughly 13% or my body weight. What was weird, though, was that all the perceived problems I thought I would encounter never happened. What I thought was going to hinder me was my belly feeling in the way and my cardiovascular strength. My heart felt great, it was just the pair of legs it was stuck with. I am quite pleased, that my heart strength wasn't the problem, because that is one of the best things about running: cardiovascular strength.

Have I mentioned that my thighs were on FIRE?!

What is most humbling for me or any person is knowing that you were at a certain level of performance and knowing that you aren't anymore or right now. Isn't that the definition of humility?! Being taken down a peg or two or three or... I had thoughts of, "will I ever run like I did again?!" And thinking that there is no way possible, just by the state I was in yesterday.

And to think that Paula Radcliffe took her pace down from a 5:30 to a 6:30 mile when she was pregnant. Incredible. Oh, to be elite.

1 comments:

Martha said...

umm Jenny I think I just got humbled! I can't even run to the end of my driveway. Just imagine having my legs. :) YOU SO ROCK.. running when pregnant. Your amazing......